Friday, April 22, 2011

Sunday Night Supper and Cheesy Bread

In our house growing up, we never had supper on Sunday evening - we would always have popcorn, and fudge or brownies or leftover cinnamon rolls, or something else that we baked during the afternoon.  Mom had a recipe for brownies that baked a large cookie sheet full in 20 minutes. We had that one a lot.

One Sunday afternoon my sister-in-law Tina and I made jelly doughnuts. They were a success, but  I haven't made them since!  I wonder if she has? Here she is with her grandbaby, Jessie. (This was taken on a Sunday evening, too! We.had a fine steak dinner - but that was at their house, not mine.)

That is a good memory among many other great memories of Sunday evenings, popcorn, and fudge.  Fast forward to our more than 31-year marriage, and Merlyn still asks, about 5 pm on Sunday evenings, what we are having for supper.  No matter how many times I tell him "popcorn and fudge", he always asks again the next week.

One Sunday before it was time for our Financial Peace University class, I surprised him with "Cheesy Bread" from the Bread & Rolls section.  This involved a package of hoagie buns, 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese, a bunch of green onions, butter & mayonnaise.  On hoagie bun halves, I spread butter and mayonnaise, then sprinkled them with sliced green onions and shredded cheese.  After baking them for 10 minutes at 350 degrees, they were ready to eat. 

This would have been a perfect treat for lots of people; but I knew before he even spoke what Merlyn would think: "You should have put some hamburger in this!"  Sometimes I think he's singlehandedly keeping the beef industry going.


I just looked at similar recipes online, and some of them have you mix the cheese with the mayo, butter and green onions - that might be really good, too! Guess I'm going to try this again!

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Here's the challenge: I'm going to make each recipe in the cookbook, "Trophy Recipes from Columbia Classics Car Club 1992-2002,' Tri-Cities, WA", one recipe per section, and blog about it.  And then I'll go on to the next section.

Next Section: Nuts and Bolts
Next 'Recipe':  A Dieter's Prayer
I'll be back after while!.  Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment